Hello there

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ChickAdee, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Sep 10, 2013
    ChickAdee

ChickAdee New Member

Hi everyone,

I just found this forum through another and came over to check it out and decided to join since we will be soon remodeling our 1942 farmhouse bit by bit as we get cash in hand. I hope to learn a lot here. :)

Our house needs the entire upstairs gutted and redone from the floor joists up and a few things need done on the first story, starting with the bathroom. The biggest challenge, we've been told, will be bringing all of the old electrical wiring up to code. We plan to live here for the next 5-10 years (depending on how quickly the mortgage is paid off). We're hoping to get the remodeling done sooner rather than later so that we can enjoy some of the updates before we go off and buy another old farm house...the next one with hopes to own more land and farm it.

2. Sep 10, 2013
    Nifty

Nifty Administrator Staff Member

Welcome! Thanks for stopping by and checking things out!

We're right in the middle of this! One thing I've learned from other people is that if you're going to have to do a ton of work to fix up your house to sell it, you might as well get it all done as soon as you can so you can enjoy it. My brother lived in his house for about 10 years and then fixed it up right before selling. He thought, "Dang, a lot of this could have been done years ago and we could have enjoyed it all this time!"

3. Sep 11, 2013
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

Welcome to the forum :)

4. Sep 11, 2013
    ChickAdee

ChickAdee New Member

Thanks for the welcome. I totally agree...if it weren't for the small parcel (all other things considered), once it is brought up to date we would probably be tempted to just stay. ;) Love it up here.

5. Sep 12, 2013
    MarshallSmyth

MarshallSmyth New Member

Howdy all

6. Sep 12, 2013
    Nifty

Hey, your signup worked and you've got your avatar installed... great job!

7. Sep 12, 2013
    MarshallSmyth

MarshallSmyth New Member

It was actually easy. bunch of questions though nifty.

Will there be another forum in this same format called TEG? Will we be signing up again or will it be included in the signup process I just did? I zoomed in to 150% for my ole eyes. I kinda hope you go a bit bold for the colors to have good contrast. Hard to see the edges of the typing notepad here. I'll check the emoticons... oh there! at the bottom! o_O about the way my eyes work recently.

8. Sep 12, 2013
    MarshallSmyth

MarshallSmyth New Member

Hay! I got a trophy!!! What do I do now?

9. Sep 12, 2013
    Nifty

The thought is to replace the current TEG software with this software. The site, content, etc. will remain the same as it is now, just a different interface.

No new signup needed and all the info will convert over just fine.

Colors, formatting, etc. will all be different from here, so don't use the colors, skin, theme, etc. as a proxy for what will be on the other sites.

10. Sep 13, 2013
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

How-dee, ChickAdee! That is a great plan you have, fixing up one to sell for money to buy the next house. We did much the same. Built our first house for speculation and sold it after several years. The buyers were carrying things through the front door, I was toting our things through the back door, and DH was finishing up all the little things we'd never gotten done.LOL

Took a couple of years to find our next property so we bought a duplex and re-habbed that. Lived in the junky upstairs while we fixed the upstairs. Then rented the upstairs and lived in the junky downstairs while fixing that. By the time both were remodeled we had found 30 acres and were ready to start building a house for ourselves. It's been nearly 40 years we've been here. I could still show you places that are still not finished, but I love this place and here I'll stay.

Seems like it's always bathrooms and kitchens that need attention the worst - the two most expensive rooms. Actually, if you do gut the rooms upstairs it is easy-peasy to do the updated wiring. Find one or two spots to run wire from the basement and go from there. We did much the same at a couple of houses we redid. Gutted them from the inside and fixed them up, then tore off the outside and redid the rest.

Although we had done all our own wiring when building our houses, we needed a professional to work on (eventually) rental property. Not having an electrician in the family was a big drawback, but we arranged with a local e- to pull the permit, install the updated breaker panel, and help us with the wiring when necessary. That worked well for us.

I understand the bit by bit, too. Just what we did while living in the basement. I compare the house to Johnny Cash's car. . . it was built in 1978, '79,'80,'81, '82, etc. but that kept the mortgage down and paying it off was easier.

Good luck with your endeavor! It can be fun -- DH and I work well together, but I know of others who found such closeness cause for divorce. Stay loose, plan together, and let ONE person make the final decisions.