Hardwood help!

Discussion in 'Flooring' started by OneHandyGal, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Nov 14, 2006
    OneHandyGal

OneHandyGal New Member

My brother has just bought a new house. It's almost 100 years old, and still has the original hardwood flooring. In between the living room and dining room there is some sort of a pull through door to separate the rooms. Now, there is an upward bump where the door pulls through. All the other hardwood is level. I'm going to help him fix it, but how do we level it down?

Thanks.

2. Nov 15, 2006
    roro

roro New Member

I can't help you with any of that , however I am intrigued by the house being 100 years old. WOW! That kind of makes your head spin to know that this house was around before I was born even before my parents were born.
    Is there alot of work to be done and have you guys found any interesting things in the house from back then.

Sorry to change you thread alittle bit.

3. Nov 16, 2006
    penguinmama

penguinmama New Member

Would sanding be sufficient? It seems you would need to know WHY it is bumped up to know the best way to proceed in leveling. If it is just warped, sanding ought to do it. Otherwise, I really don't know :)

4. Jan 18, 2007
    wayne

wayne New Member

Sanding or light planing are really the only options available to you, but if you are feeling adventurous you could reduce the bottom of the doors instead. This would of course mean more work but rather mess up on the doors which are easy to replace than the floor!