Upside down electrics

Discussion in 'Electrical And Lighting' started by Sumi, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Jun 21, 2014
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

We had our stove removed a few weeks ago and replaced it with a smaller model that plugs into a wall socket, instead of getting wired into the electrics. And then things got interesting... DH and I opened the fridge and got zapped. I picked up my laptop and got zapped. We turned the lights on and off and got zapped... Eventually we couldn't take it any more and phoned our friend who lived here previously, who came to remove the old stove. He told us he left the stove's switch "off" when he left... It was ON! And somehow with all the crossed wire electrics in this old house the power went everywhere. We flipped the switch, dared each other to touch to the fridge and nothing happened. Turns out the electrician who fitted and wired up the old stove fitted the stove switch (and a few light switches) upside-down.

2. Jun 21, 2014
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

It happens. We have a couple of switches that are upside down. DH figured it was easier to adapt than to change the switch.

Sounds like a pretty :eek: shocking :eek: situation. Lucky you had someone with experience with the house to consult. I can't imagine what getting an electrician in would have cost.

3. Jun 22, 2014
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

We saw the humour in the situation afterwards, but for those few hours, tip toeing around the house like a cat in a kennel wasn't much fun. Thankfully the shocks we got weren't serious or life threatening, but it was rather unpleasant. There was a lot of "don't listen to mommy and daddy (especially daddy) and don't touch anything" going on in this house. When you get up first thing in the morning, head to the kitchen for some coffee and get lit up by the fridge when you try to get the milk out... I must confess it got interesting at times.

4. Aug 12, 2014
    mynameisjohnny

mynameisjohnny New Member

Glad you don't have any serious condition after that very shocking event. I was shocked once when I was in grade school by a fridge. The experience is not good and was very upsetting to recall but perhaps now I can laugh about it.

I supposed that you have checked all your wiring and your electrifying experience had gone. It just remind me that before you moved in into your new house you must checked first all the corners of the house and checked all the issues of the house(like your experience of zapping). But glad you don't have any serious condition.

5. Aug 14, 2014
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

Shocking experience indeed LOL. That was rather unpleasant. I've been shocked by faulty electrics and my own stupidity quite a few times in spite of the fact that I'm very cautious when it comes to electrics and wiring and anything related. I've been known to call for help with anything more complicated than replacing a lightbulb ;)

6. Aug 15, 2014
    mynameisjohnny

Oh! that one was very hard. :D LOL.

7. Aug 15, 2014
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

Better safe than sorry. If you grew up with my brother you'll understand ;)

8. Aug 15, 2014
    mynameisjohnny

What about your brother?

9. Aug 15, 2014
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

Let's just say he didn't help make me love electricity :)

10. Aug 15, 2014
    mynameisjohnny

Is he an electrician? Or are you the kind of person who always get zapped on metals? Cause I have known a friend on mine who is like that.

11. Aug 16, 2014
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

No, he just has a bad sense of humour.

12. Aug 17, 2014
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

Like wearing rubber gloves and grabbing the electric fencing? Hey, it's off! Just lift it and walk under?
    ZAP! Yelp! Drats, he did it again!

13. Aug 18, 2014
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

Yep, or hold this wire while I attach it to that battery...

@Smart Red, did I tell you guys what happened when I took those pics of the giraffes? I stuck my arms through the fence, but my hand was shaking, so I rested my wrist on the wire to steady it... Flimsy single strand wire, holding game in? I don't know what the voltage was, but I had a burn on my wrist and my arm was still aching an hour later. Can you say "blonde moment"?

14. Nov 2, 2020
    billragston

billragston New Member

Better have a good electrician Seven Hills to take a look at your house to make sure everything is safe and secure.

15. Nov 24, 2020
    Rakson

Rakson New Member

And it's interesting to note here that there were no fused electrical equipment. It could have got worse.