Tile and grout

Discussion in 'Flooring' started by hammers, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Mar 25, 2012
    hammers

hammers New Member

Has anyone put in their own tile floor? You know the 12 inch x 12 inch tile blocks with the grout. The real tile not fake. We are going to put this in our kitchen. I've already picked out the tile I want. I just wonder if it's going to be a back breaking job?

2. Mar 25, 2012
    Fryar

Fryar New Member

It can be tedious to get the floor solid, stable and level, but it's not all that difficult. You do have to get down on your hands and knees. I highly advise knee pads and doing it on a day when your patience level is at its highest.

3. Mar 26, 2012
    Yoohoo

Yoohoo New Member

I agree with Fryer. Depending on the space you are tiling, it can also take more than one day. Be sure to have a good tile saw as well, and tile spacers to help you keep your grout lines even.

4. Apr 1, 2012
    PlushPickens

PlushPickens New Member

My brothers tiled my floors with 12x12 tiles, and yes, it was backbreaking for them. Those tiles are heavy when doing a series. But then again they are not the fittest in the physique department, either. The floor was a large area too. Just be sure to get knee pads, and take breaks when needed and don't over-do it.

5. Apr 2, 2012
    Howdie

Howdie New Member

Tile floors

I used to do jobs like this, but as I've gotten older, I've traded off and accepted jobs where I could farm this type of work to the younger guys. The same thing goes with crawling under houses. Old age needs its perks.

6. Apr 2, 2012
    hammers

hammers New Member

Tile spacers - thanks! That is something I had not thought of. I have already bought knee pads (the big bubble type). I hope they work well. I have 2 cousins that are willing to help us out.

7. Apr 3, 2012
    Howdie

Howdie New Member

You can't really get tile right without the spacers unless you have done this over and over again. Besides, spacers makes the job so much easier. I know a couple of folks who can lay tile without them, but they do it for a living.

8. Apr 20, 2012
    JenP

JenP New Member

I certainly don't do it for a living (accountant here). We have not started this project yet. We have bought the tiles though! I can't wait to start. I think we are starting next Friday.

9. Apr 21, 2012
    hammers

hammers New Member

We are going to be starting this project soon too. I have enlisted a couple of cousins that are going to help me out. It should go well I hope. My wife can't wait for the finished project!

10. May 1, 2012
    TileLindsey

TileLindsey New Member

Well, good luck on your project.. that seems a backbreaking job especially if you're doing this for the first time. But good thing you have your cousins to help, I think that would be fun..