Textured Walls and Ceilings

Discussion in 'Painting and Interior Design' started by bra, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Oct 30, 2006
    bra

bra New Member

Have you ever dabbed spackle on your walls and ceilings to give them texture. I think this looks pretty on the ceilings, but on the walls it can be quite rough to rub up against.

I have heard this referred to as Popping / Dobbing the ceiling.

Any tips for making this an easy job?

2. Oct 30, 2006
    mtatum4496

mtatum4496 New Member

Actually, I have seen a technique where spackling was used to give the walls a little texture and visual interest. A whisk broom (hand broom) was used. I've seen two variations on this technique. One was to make overlapping "X" marks on the walls; the other was to drag the broom down the wall vertically, staying as straight as possible. The effect of the latter almost gave an appearance of grass paper.

3. Oct 31, 2006
    eleet34

eleet34 New Member

I have done some texturing just by dabbing the walls using a plastic bag. Determine how much or little you want by how much area of the wall you decide to dab. You can control how rough or smooth your peaks are by padding them down before they dry. To pad them down I used just a simple cardbord sheet, but I bet there are some other techniques to make it even more smooth for those side walls.

4. Oct 31, 2006
    ItsComeToThis

ItsComeToThis New Member

I love the suede look in textured walls, I think it's gorgeous and dramatically changes a room. I actually love the look of fabric on walls instead of paint. Ive seen it done on some design shows and Id love to do it my own home.

5. Oct 31, 2006
    mynameisCat

mynameisCat New Member

I always used to think the textured thing was okay on ceilings...until a contractor told me that he hates knocking those down because spiders live and breed in any air pockets in the stuff...yeeks!

6. Nov 8, 2006
    lyricb

lyricb New Member

Oh man Cat, I will never ever have a textured ceiling after reading that. Wowzer, I am so freaked out now!

7. Nov 9, 2006
    mamab

mamab New Member

An aunt of ours did a texture on her walls. They kind of look like old stucco. It's really neat how it turned out, sanded so not to snag material, but also took her a lot of time. I just don't know if I would like the results well enough to spend the time on it. ;)

8. Nov 10, 2006
    mynameisCat

mynameisCat New Member

I completely didn't answer the question, didn't I. :)

If you go to your local DIY big box store, they can show you this stuff that you can get that you can use with one of those air pressure canister thingies to blow the stuff onto your surfaces. It's messy, but that's the way the pros do it, and it's not hard. Just horrible to clean up. :)

9. Nov 16, 2006
    riskey58

riskey58 New Member

No I have never textured my walls or ceilings. I have foe painted my walls, and I really like them. I am planning on doing my bedroom soon. Maybe when I do I will try the texture on my walls.

10. Nov 16, 2006
    cerumen

cerumen New Member

We have put textured paint on all of our ceilings and I love the way it looks. It is especially nice in older homes to cover less than perfect construction. It was very easy to do. I do recommend getting a paint roller cover and extension handle. I used a powered sand type additive that could be mixed with any ceiling paint. It was available in varying grits depending on how much texture you wanted. Ours has a fine sand like feel.

11. Jan 14, 2007
    wayne

wayne New Member

Boy is it a messy job to do and yes there is a great deal of cleaning up no matter how hard you try. The one negative point I found is that it is a pain to remove and sometimes we actually just plaster flat over the top of it as it makes so much damage to the walls and ceilings to remove.
    Fashion changes over the years and what may seem fashionable now m,ay mean a whole lot of work and money for you in the future.

12. Apr 13, 2010
    Daniel25

Daniel25 New Member

Interior design/home decorating style , every new customer that registers on CLICK HERE and purchases a minimum of 10 credits ($8.00 USD), will receive an electronic resort voucher worth $500.00 USD. With a selection of nearly 8,000 resorts around the world, planning the perfect vacation is not only easy but fun. DubLi’s Gift-Redemption site can be found at www.dfsresorts.com. The voucher number will be required in order to enter the site - have it handy so that you are ready to go! Please understand that the amount of the voucher is $500.00 USD and can be used as payment toward the total cost for the selected resort you choose. ALL THE BEST !