Rubber roof

Discussion in 'Roofing and Siding' started by hammers, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Mar 20, 2012
    hammers

hammers New Member

Have you ever seen those rubber roofs? I was thinking that we might actually put one our garage. It's a funny slope of a roof. I have heard that they have a lifetime warranty. Anyone know anything else about them?

2. Mar 20, 2012
    Fryar

Fryar New Member

I've never heard of a rubber roof. I suppose it might work if the rubber has been conditioned not to crumble in the heat. I remember my sister's old rubber dolls crumbling after spending years in the attic. I'm sure rubber is better these days, and this roofing material has been treated.

3. Mar 21, 2012
    MsFixIt

MsFixIt New Member

Depending on where you are, you may not want to go for a rubber roof. Usually this material is black so if you live in a sunny climate, your roof will absorb that heat and make your a/c work much harder. If you live in a climate where there is snow, be careful about snow removal so you don't damage the membrane.

4. Mar 26, 2012
    Robbie

Robbie New Member

I also have not heard of rubber roofs. At first I thought it sounded as if it would be durable, but after reading MsFixIt post, I don't know. I live in a sunny climate. I think I'll look it up and see what other facts I can find. I wonder how much they cost.

5. Jan 5, 2017
    TONYALBOTT

TONYALBOTT New Member

Well i have never heard ever about rubber roof. This sounds like a roof of a baby's toy, but i will surely ask about this to my Roofing Contractors.I am sure , this information will surely be available from them.

6. Apr 6, 2017
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

There are new rubber roofing choices that weren't around even a few years ago. I don't know that I've ever heard of only rubber as roofing except on flat roofs, but we did have a rubber skin material used on a pitched porch-roof with a deck over it.

It lasted about 25 years before it had problems. I suspect the 'problems' were where it attached to the siding and pulled away slightly. We are planning to replace that roof with newer rubber material and make the deck much smaller. As it was, tenants thought grilling on the upper deck was a good idea. We've replaced siding that melted and figure the smaller replacement deck will put an end to deck grills.

7. Nov 2, 2019
    David Hales

David Hales New Member

Your idea of doing replacement is great, in future i have to call anyone for roof repair i will surely consider your company to call.