Pull & stick grout tiles?

Discussion in 'Flooring' started by Jared77, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Sep 11, 2013
    Jared77

Jared77 New Member

Anybody have any experience wit these?

We have a mudroom that came with the house. Its just a subfloor and a scrap piece of carpet. I live in Michigan so I want a solid 4 season floor that is water tight can take some serious abuse.

My BIL put a pull and stick tile down that he could grout between. It looks nice and laid down real easy and the grout was encouraging since it would be water tight. I'm worried about snow melt, and mud in the mudroom. We've got kids so its going to get a work out.

Is this something that I can put down and rely on or should I look for something else?

2. Sep 11, 2013
    Nifty

Nifty Administrator Staff Member

I don't have mudroom experience, but is the tile slippery when wet? That might be a big concern.

3. Sep 12, 2013
    HayZee518

HayZee518 Member

I wouldn't trust any peel n stick product as a tile installation. Grout isn't waterproof. It's used merely to fill in the gaps between tiles. I would use a quicket mortar to adhere the tiles to the subfloor. this way the quickset would kind of fill in the uneven spaces along the floor line and hold the tiles. in other words the tiled floor wouldn't bounce and loosen up the tiles. any flexing in the sub floor and you will have problems.

4. Sep 12, 2013
    Canesisters

Canesisters Member

Is there a reason that a single piece of vinyl flooring wouldn't work? You can get remnant pieces pretty cheap. How big is the room? I used to work at a dog groomers and in the bathing room we had vinyl flooring that ran up the wall about 6". Made the floor pretty much water proof!
    I'm not sure, but if you're talking about the peel&stick flooring - 12" squares - I used it in a rental house for the dining room and hall. It looked nice but tended to pop and squeek from small air bubbles caught under the tiles. Can't really say how it would've held up to water as it wasn't used in a 'wet' area.

5. Sep 12, 2013
    Nifty

Nifty Administrator Staff Member

Good comments and feedback, thanks!

Canesisters, great idea regarding sheet vinyl. I guess I don't need anything too fancy in there and the room is SUPER square, so it would be really easy to lay down.

6. Sep 12, 2013
    britesea

britesea New Member

When I was building my duck coop, I wanted something waterproof on the floor to make things a lot easier to clean, ducks being what they are. I found a piece of that new vinyl flooring that doesn't need to be glued to the floor and it worked really well- I just lay it down and the weight kept it in place.