Pools,are they more of a hazard than recreation?

Discussion in 'Pools, Ponds, and Fountains' started by roro, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Nov 14, 2006
    roro

roro New Member

I was like everyone else who grew up without having a pool, I said that I would have one when I buy my first house. Now that has changed I would not want a pool at all now that I have small children. I know that now they have these screens and gated bars you put around your pools, however this is still fallible.
    The reason I say that is, What if someone forgets to lock the gate? or What if your having a (pool) party and there's continual flow to the pool area? For me, there are too many varibles of possible danger.

2. Nov 15, 2006
    mamab

mamab New Member

There are so many places that have pools nowadays, that I wouldn't want to have one, either. You can always drive to get to a pool, you CAN'T replace your kids. I feel they're just too much of a temptation to a child who doesn't understand the dangers.

3. Nov 16, 2006
    GloryB

GloryB New Member

Since I live in FL, pools are very common. If you own one, you must be responsible. Use gates, teach your child to swim, and most importantly watch them at all times. They are a lot of fun, but also a huge responsibility. When we can afford it, we'll get one because nothing beats a hot Florida day (or night) then jumping in your own pool.

GloryB

4. Jan 20, 2007
    wayne

wayne New Member

I don't think I would ever have one built in my garden at anytime as you say kids cannot be replaced and with the best will in the world you cannot watch them 24/7 each and every minute of the day until they are 16.
    I also see that quite a few adults become victims when parties go wrong due to excess alcohol and fooling around.

5. Jan 21, 2007
    Farrahcat

Farrahcat New Member

Hmmm... we have a pool. I think they installed the pool when I was around 2 years old. It's still here up to now and I love it. :)

Our pool was gated before. When my siblings and I were young, our parents only allow us to swim during weekends.My parents are strict so we are very disciplined. And anyway, we have our nanny following us the whole day.

6. Mar 4, 2012
    PlushPickens

PlushPickens New Member

We had a pool in our old house. I hate them. They are too much maintenance and expense. We loved it at first, then the novelty wore off. I certainly would not have a pool with small children around. I am just too paranoid something will happen, and easily can. That is a chance I am not willing to take.