Old TV Cabinet in Wall Help!!

Discussion in 'General Interior Repair Discussion' started by anajjar, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Apr 20, 2012
    anajjar

anajjar New Member

Hello everyone!

I am new to this website, However I need help and advice on a project at a new condo I recently purchased. It came with a TV cabinet built into the wall, it was made for the old Large TVs that took a lot of space. I attached a picture.

Basically it is a big opening and also goes deep till the floor, it had a TV and they pulled the front part off to get the tv out and put it back on. I do not want to have a 60 inch tv to fill the space, yet want to close it some how to be able to hang or stand a smaller flat screen in it for now.

It would be best if I demolish however right now I want to go with the cheapest and easiest way to use, yet still looks nice and not show the studs in the back and the bare wood inside.

Any ideas? please ask me for any additional info!

thank you!

[​IMG]

2. Apr 21, 2012
    Yoohoo

Yoohoo New Member

From what I can see, the studs shown are in the back so I would think you'd want some 2x4s in the front of the cabinet. Then put up a sheet of drywall on both sides, plaster and paint them a flattering color, and then hang the TV up on the front studs. From the front, the TV will look matted, like a picture.

3. Apr 21, 2012
    Howdie

Howdie New Member

I would just go ahead and just find the money and get rid of it. That thing becomes the focal point of your room and will thwart every attempt at decorating you try to do. I'd do without something else I wanted just to get rid of it.

4. Apr 23, 2012
    anajjar

anajjar New Member

Thanks guys for the great ideas and fedback. I do like the dry wall idea.... of was thinking of clising it off with some wood of the same color and use the open space below for storage.

Eventually it is best to demolish and get rid of it, however I will need to also change the floor and paint and everything else, which I will probably do later in the year.