Mudding drywall

Discussion in 'General Interior Repair Discussion' started by Smart Red, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Nov 6, 2013
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

Sure is quiet on this forum. Everybody working on projects?

We are re-doing the 1832 Victorian-ish house my son lives in. After son took the plaster down to the ceiling joists and outside walls we came to insulate and put up the drywall.

Son insists he can't "do" drywall compound and make it look even. Spouse at 76 is stuck doing most of the work and would rather not. I was game to give it a try (after 40+ years of watching). I did all the screw holes, a few short butt ends, and the joint along the middle. My poor baby still was stuck doing the ceilings and corners. I was hoping the our son would see "even I" was able to do some and he would take the hint and try taking some of the work off Dad. Nope! Not yet as least. Since only two rooms have been worked on, we have most of the three story house to get son 'educated'.

So far so good. We're done with the second of three applications. Son is sanding tonight. Tomorrow will tell the tale as we go for number three. Son has a friend who will trowel designs on the ceiling, but the walls have to look smooth. No one wants a textured finish on them. Paint or wall-paper will show every flaw. I think my work looks good. Wish us luck!

OldGuy43 likes this.
  2. Nov 7, 2013
    OldGuy43

OldGuy43 New Member

Don't know the first thing about drywall, and at almost 71 years old don't really want to. ;) Good luck to you and yours Red. Sounds like you've got a lot of work ahead of you.

3. Nov 14, 2013
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

We went to start working on the heat ducts at son's house today. At breakfast DH was 'complaining' that he "didn't know anything about heating", "didn't want to know anything about heating", and "didn't want to do heating". I sweetly reminded him that we did the first house's heating, our current house's heating, heating to both additions we built in town, and the heating in Mom and Dad's (church) last house.

He insisted he didn't remember any of that. That's okay I told him. MY JOB as his wife was remembering for him! He started chuckling and said he had forgotten doing the church.

Actually, DH shouldn't have to do any work. It is his oral help and suggestions that DS is wanting. Son plans on doing all the actual work -- unlike the drywall. And I agree spouse shouldn't have to do work anymore that he doesn't want to do. Still, I know DH and DS enjoy working together so it should be a win/win/win situation.

4. Nov 14, 2013
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

Finishing the drywall is on hold in the computer room until we get some heating work done. Currently all his heat is coming from a single hole in the ductwork running up through the closet in that room. We can't close the closet with drywall until we have some other places for the heat to get into the downstairs. More fun!

5. Nov 22, 2013
    Nifty

Nifty Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the great updates! We've had similar issues with heat transfer in the room split we did and we're trying to work out those details too. Fortunately we're in a pretty mild climate, so it hasn't been a huge issue yet.

Any pics of the work in process?

6. Dec 15, 2013
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

We're about ready to start on the heating. Had a family friend in the heating business stop by with suggestions. I'll get some photos this time.

7. Dec 15, 2013
    Nifty

Nifty Administrator Staff Member

We finally have a house with central heat and it's amazing how much we love waking up to a house that is already warm (we set the thermo to start heating about a 1/2 hour before we get up)

8. Dec 15, 2013
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

Yes, it is sure nice to have an automatic set-back thermometer. I remember being the first one up and the last one to bed, back in the day. Everyone else stayed in bed an extra half hour so the house was warm and had their showers before the heat got turned down.