Mini bathroom remodel

Discussion in 'Kitchen and Bath' started by dewdopsinwv, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Sep 26, 2013
    dewdopsinwv

dewdopsinwv New Member

MontyJ and I have a bathroom vanity we were going to use in the other house, well to make a long story short, we scrapped the idea of the "other property remodel" Since we have a brand new vanity next door, and ours in this place is junk, I'd like to use it here. I'm thinking about painting the bathroom and doing a few "touch ups"
    after MontyJ gets the new vanity installed. :D LOL he will find this out when he reads this post. ;)

2. Sep 26, 2013
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

That sounds like a great idea! And yes, if you put in a new vanity you might as well do a bit to the rest of the room as well. You know, in for a penny and all that ;) You must take some before and after pics for us.

dewdopsinwv likes this.
  3. Sep 26, 2013
    Nifty

Nifty Administrator Staff Member

Yup, we must see pics!!!

4. Sep 27, 2013
    dewdopsinwv

dewdopsinwv New Member

Of course there will be pics of before and after. :D Cant do a mini remodel with out the pics....it's just un-amercian lol

5. Sep 27, 2013
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

O.K. so you're getting a new vanity fitted, a repaint, what else are you planning?

6. Sep 29, 2013
    dewdopsinwv

dewdopsinwv New Member

I'm thinking about taking the old mirror down and sanding it to re-paint it. The bathroom just needs a little face lift. :D I have new sconce lights I was going to use in another project we were planning, but since that got canned, might as well use them.

7. Sep 27, 2014
    jack smith

jack smith New Member

When it comes to plumbing, prevention is way easier and less costly than repairs. A few basic tips should always be kept in mind while plumbing in your house. Minor plumbing problems if not handled properly can turn into a plumbing catastrophe. Plumbing services of only expert or licensed plumbers should be taken.

Sumi likes this.
  8. Sep 28, 2014
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

I guess we fit into the expert side. The licensed plumber we hired (City requirement) had over half his joints leaking when he'd finished, and the first runs went through the space we TOLD HIM TO LEAVE EMPTY for the heating ducts. DH re-routed the duct runs and fixed all but the three worst joints. Then called the professional back to fix them.

This house we plumbed ourselves nearly 40 years ago and have had zero leaks or problems other than a couple of new faucets.

9. Sep 29, 2014
    davison

davison New Member

Wow 40 years! That's a long years already. our pipes only lasted 22 years. When we checked the pipes underneath, its all covered with rust and others are having a leak.

Sumi likes this.
  10. Sep 29, 2014
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

Welcome to Remodel @davison I was thinking I should hire/bribe Smart Red and her husband to come help me with any plumbing jobs I need doing from now on ;)

11. Oct 1, 2014
    davison

davison New Member

Thanks Sumi. Plumbing jobs can be tricky sometimes that's why its important to hire the expert.

12. Oct 1, 2014
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

That is one department where I think I'll get some expert help! That and electrics... I can change a lightbulb and that's it :D

13. Oct 1, 2014
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

Our first house was plumbed with cast iron and threaded galvanized pipe with a few soldered joints just before the fixtures. The second was all done with PVC and copper. No leaks, but no rust either. Son's Victorian was re-plumbed (before we bought it) with the new PEX tubing. So far we haven't done any work with that, although some will have to be done as the inside gets re-worked. Have priced some of the specialized tools for PEX and much prefer the copper I know.

14. Oct 1, 2014
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

Oh, how I wish!
    Since DH fell last March he hasn't been the same. I fear that I am losing him piece by piece a little each day. Any plumbing that needs doing now is with DS's help. Sometimes DH is able to offer advice and sometimes not so much.

Someone sprayed Killz paint on the joints of my garden tractor thinking it was a silicone lubricant. Someone used straight gasoline in the chain saw instead of the 50:1 mix and wrecked a great saw in one day. Someone tried attaching an electrical extension cord to the end of the air hose so it would reach farther then sent me looking for a three-prong adaptor because the two ends didn't fit together. Someone cleaned the garden tractor and tossed the bolts and screws away instead of the buildup of grass. Nope, we're not hiring out anymore.

15. Oct 2, 2014
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

*Hug*

16. Oct 29, 2014
    AdamsBrown

AdamsBrown New Member

Please show pic........

Smart Red likes this.
  17. Oct 29, 2014
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

@AdamsBrown, it often helps to click on 'reply' before typing a response or request so it is clear to whom you are addressing your Please show pics comment.

I suspect you are addressing @dewdropsinwv with your request for pictures. If so, you are so right! It is certainly time for a reveal, Dew!

18. Nov 18, 2014
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

Bathroom remodel here in south-est, central-est Wisconsin coming soon. Not so much a remodel as a repair and renew. The tenants called yesterday to report "The bathroom floor was broken." I'm not quite sure what that means and I didn't get inside to see for myself when DH and DS stopped to see what supplies and materials would be needed.

New floor for a start. Then wait to see if the flooring under and around the stool needs to be replaced. Of course there's painting once that is done. The tenants are way behind in their rents, so we're thinking of having them move out and really renewing the apartment.

19. Nov 23, 2014
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

Pictures of the 'broken' bathroom floor. bathroom floor broken.JPG
    No way this happened in one day. This shows problems of long standing that they never mentioned to us until last Sunday.
    They never thought to mention a water leak in the kitchen either. This is not a one day problem either. It's been months to have damage like this.
    cabinet and wall rot 2.JPG Countertop rotten.JPG loose countertop.JPG The formica is loose all around the sink where long time problems caused water damage. I suppose no one is likely to discuss house problems when they are behind in their rent, but these would have been easy to correct if we'd known when the leak? water damage? first started.
    Add to these photos, holes in walls, and scribbling on most walls -- including the mural in the master bedroom. I hate to move people at Christmas, but these folks have got to go.
    wall mural 3.JPG
    I admit I am not a good landlord. I am far too kind hearted. With rent arrears of over $7,000, they should have been gone long ago. They got behind during some hard times, but currently owe more than when we first told them to catch up or move a year ago.

20. Nov 24, 2014
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

Oh no :( Smart Red, I agree. If they show this little respect and care for your property, especially considering they're basically staying "rent free" at the moment? They've got to go. Hope you won't have any problems getting them evicted.

21. Nov 24, 2014
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

@Sumi, they aren't really staying rent free. They are paying rent every month, but are doing nothing about getting caught up on the months they got behind in past years. It is the damage that makes me want them gone. Those cupboards were built and the kitchen remodeled by my son just before these folks moved in. They are quality and the sink, counters, lighting etc. were expensive since my son was fixing it up for his own family until they found the Victorian they are fixing up now.