making room appear larger

Discussion in 'Painting and Interior Design' started by sweet_mayhem, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Dec 17, 2006
    sweet_mayhem

sweet_mayhem New Member

one of the things you can do to make a room appear larger (besides de-cluttering :) ) is rearranging furniture. i read from some articles online that you can try setting your furniture diagonally in such a way that it is coming out of a corner. this way, while seating on your couch or even while lying in your bed, you can see more of the room in an angle than when you have your furniture set up horizontally against the wall.

other ideas about making a room visually larger?

2. Dec 18, 2006
    eleet34

eleet34 New Member

Well here's what I've heard about how to change a room appearance by painting.

1. Painting the roof of a small room a light color, like white, will make it appear taller.
    2. Painting the roof a darker color may make a room feel wider.
    3. Painting the roof the same color as the sides will make a room feel larger.
    4. If you paint one wall a dark color and the other three light, it will also make the room appear larger.

But ultimately I think these are just guidelines that I've heard and the way you feel about certain painting techniques is entirely up to you.

3. Jan 14, 2007
    wayne

wayne New Member

Mirrors are what I have found to be one of the best options to give a room a larger feel. Position correctly to take advantage of whatever natural light is entering a room the mirror can be extremely effective.

4. Jan 20, 2007
    Farrahcat

Farrahcat New Member

Great! Your tips will definitely help me. :p

I really don't think I can set-up my furniture diagonally. My room is extremely small and cramped. Setting up any furniture diagonally will definitely not help. Hehe. ;-) Maybe I can try that on our living room.

5. Aug 28, 2011
    connor

connor New Member

If you really want to see your room larger, then you will have to use compact furniture and all items. Arrange only usable items into your room, remove waste materials from you room.

Good luck!

6. Apr 24, 2020
    Kinny

Kinny New Member

The space is well expanded light color, the presence of large mirrors and competent arrangement of furniture.