Let's Talk Toilet Seats

Discussion in 'Kitchen and Bath' started by OldGuy43, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Oct 3, 2013
    OldGuy43

OldGuy43 New Member

OldGal and I recently had the hinge break on our old seat, so off we went to Lowe's for a new one. After looking at all the options we found one plain white one off in the corner of the display. When I looked closer I realized that it was padded. Yep, that's right, a padded toilet seat.

Took it home and found that it was easy to install and talk about comfort? Such luxury as you can't imagine if you've never tried one.

[​IMG]

2. Oct 4, 2013
    Nifty

Nifty Administrator Staff Member

I've really liked padded seats, but the Mrs. isn't a fan, so guess what we have (non padded).

On a related notes...

We use to have wood seats and didn't like how heavy & noisy they were and how they often had pain come off over time. We ended up with a plastic seat that was super easy to install and BEST PART... "slow close". No more accidental drops of the seat that echo through the house. I imagine a padded seat would also be a good protector against slamming seats.

A few years ago I tried a bidet at a client's office and thought it was awesome. I got a super cheap bolt-on bidet on Amazon and installed it. The Mrs. thought she'd hate it, but after a few uses she fell in love with it. Honestly, now when we go on vacation, the bidet is now top of the things we miss.

$36, easy to install on existing seats, and check out the TONS of great reviews: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...tiveASIN=B001KKRCFA&linkCode=as2&tag=backy-20

[​IMG]

3. Oct 4, 2013
    OldGuy43

OldGuy43 New Member

Wow, neat and affordable. How long and how difficult was it to install?

4. Oct 5, 2013
    Nifty

I think the first time it took me 10 minutes and the second it took me 5 minutes. :D

You just unscrew the connection between the supply line and the toilet tank, insert the T connector, then connect everything together. Oh, maybe add another 5 - 10minutes to install the part under the seat.

I found it surprisingly easy.

5. Oct 5, 2013
    Nifty

6. Oct 6, 2013
    HayZee518

HayZee518 Member

ain't the water a little cold? I mean wait until the winter when you got 42 degree water coming out of the faucet!

7. Oct 6, 2013
    Nifty

We've had it for about 2 years (2 winters) and love it. Temperature hasn't been a problem here since our climate is pretty mild and our pipes are mostly in the ground where the temp is also moderate.

8. Oct 7, 2013
    HayZee518

HayZee518 Member

where you located? here in ny the frost level goes down four feet in the dead of winter. this is considering a normal frost of 35 below zero.

9. Oct 7, 2013
    Canesisters

Canesisters Member

Ok.......... simple country girl here....
    I 'get' the little shower for your bum.. But don't ya go through a lot of TP having to dry off every time you go???
    How does it know when to come on??? I had stomach flu a couple of years ago and spent a very long day in the bathroom... I don't think that I would have appreciated the water fountain that day.....

10. Oct 7, 2013
    Nifty

Bay Area, CA. What's the temp of the coldest water coming into your house in the Winter? They make ones that have heated water, or connect to both hot / cold water. Just more expensive and harder to install.

We use WAY less TP now than before. Drying the drips is way less TP consuming than tons of wiping... especially when you've eaten something your system doesn't agree with and you're making lots of trips. It's also way more gentle than repeated wiping.

Come on / off: There is a button / knob on the right of the unit where you can control the pressure and on/off. People that don't like it just don't turn it on / don't use it.

11. Oct 10, 2013
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

TMI :D

12. Oct 10, 2013
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

My Dad was handicapped and going to the bathroom was a mission for him, so his uncle who owned a bathroom/plumbing/sanitary wares shop gave him a bidet. My brother and I quickly sussed out the potential fun to be had with this thing. Every time we had a new visitor (friends from school mostly), we'd wait for them to visit the bathroom and explain how to "flush the loo" They had two options, flushing it while seated, or flushing it afterwards when they were leaning over to reach the lever they had to pull... We never used it for, well, what it was intended for, but had a lot of fun with that thing. :D

13. Mar 15, 2018
    Daliajoy

Daliajoy New Member

My mom has the paded one, it feels ok and good for noise, but the padding, once it gets stained, not really easy to clean. Personally I wouldn't choose one.