laminate flooring

Discussion in 'Flooring' started by destiny_star2006, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Nov 1, 2006
    destiny_star2006

destiny_star2006 New Member

Hi guys and dolls just wondering if anyone has any basic tips on layigndown laminate flooring i am only covering a small space and i belive the flooring is a click flooring i think thats correct lol i got a few packs from my father as he bought in exess so theres just enough to do my bathroom but as i say only enough so i dont want to ruin the flooring by doing something wrong please can someone explain in the idiot guide from start to finish on the flooring and what is the best way to protect it from the water etc that will ovbiously get on it with it being in the washroom.:D

2. Nov 3, 2006
    OneHandyGal

OneHandyGal New Member

We have laminate flooring in a couple of rooms in our house, and I have to say that it's going to be very hard to keep laminate flooring in good condition in a bathroom. I have laminate flooring in my bedroom and one day while I was out it started to rain and I had left my window open. I don't usually get too much rain in the room due to where my room is situated, but just that little bit curled up and caused a 'bump' in the area by my window. When this happens you have to actually take apart a large area of the laminate, if not all, just to put down one or two new pieces. I really think your best bet would be to call someone who sells laminate or who has a lot of experience with it and talk to them. I think any moisture in the air, like steam from the shower, can also ruin the floor.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. Good luck.

3. Nov 5, 2006
    penguinmama

penguinmama New Member

You might be better off setting aside the extra bits you have and saving for some ceramic tile for the bathroom. That's what I'm hoping to do in my bathroom.

Maybe you could use the laminate for a small area somewhere else? An entryway, or utility room, or something else fairly small?

4. Nov 7, 2006
    Stephanie2377

Stephanie2377 New Member

I agree with the others that you might want to rethink the laminate in your main bathroom. Are you speaking about a half bath, or a full bath with tub/shower?

We have laminate on our entire 1st floor, including the 1/2 bath. I am not very worried about the laminate in there right now. Now, when my son starts clogging up the toilet as he gets older, we might have an issue! :p

I definitely would not put laminate in a bathroom that has bath/shower. Ceramic tile would be best.

Do you have an entryway, or perhaps a small sunroom where the laminate could go instead?

5. Nov 10, 2006
    lyricb

lyricb New Member

We did laminate in our dining room and it has been great. With one kid in a highchair I was getting tired of scrubvbing the carpet. Anyways, as far as installation goes, we paid someone to do it.

6. Nov 10, 2006
    Stephanie2377

Stephanie2377 New Member

Oh, I wanted to also mention that we paid someone to do our installation. We had too many tight corners and odd size pieces. My hubby knew he would have ruined too much good laminate. The guys had it installed in less than 2 days!! Well worth the money...

7. Dec 27, 2006
    sarahlorrain

sarahlorrain New Member

I know this is an old post, but I would also not reccomend putting laminate in a bathroom. A kitchen MAYBE; I have a friend who has it in her kitchen, and it's fine.... We did put it in our bedroom, after leveling the concrete floor, and once you get started it's easy. There are many tutorials online to help you out. The first step is figuring out how you are going to fit the boards under/around any threshhold because the floor must be allowed to move, which means you can't screw/nail/glue any of it down or to anything else. Then, figure out where your first peice is going to go, and start there. If you have a doorway in a room, then you need to start there, like a bedroom w/ a closet, you would need to start in the doorway to the closet.

8. Jan 18, 2007
    wayne

wayne New Member

Interesting to hear your views on this problem. It does suprise me though as we have access to a great range of laminates designed specifically for bathrooms although it does come in at twice the price of living room laminate.
    Only advice is start on a square line and try tio use the off cuts immediately to avoid waste.

9. Jun 3, 2012
    Rem111

Rem111 New Member

It is not suitable to install laminate flooring in bathroom as it is not waterproof.

10. Jun 6, 2012
    Todd Adams Sr.

Todd Adams Sr. New Member

I think it is not suitable to install laminate flooring in bathroom at all - waterproof or not.