Installing a tile shower stall to minimize cracking if foundation moves.

Discussion in 'Kitchen and Bath' started by jaes, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Dec 26, 2013
    jaes

jaes New Member

My wife wants us to replace our tub/shower combination with a nice big 36" X 60" tiled shower stall with a built-in seat. At first, she wanted everything to be tile (walls and floors). But I pointed out that in past 2 years there has been extreme dry weather such that many of the foundations of homes (including ours) have settled, resulting in cracked walls. (We had a very reputable foundation person out -- he confirmed the problem was citywide). ---Anyway, I am very concerned about an all tile shower--for cracking reasons. I suggested we go with an all fiberglass stall---- Let's just say, that the suggestion met with some resistance. We compromised on a 36" X 60" one-piece Koehler stall pan/base with an integrated seat-- we will title the walls up from the solid Koehler base. I am still concerned about cracking title walls. QUESTION: Is there a way to minimize the damage from any future settling? For example, using larger tiles, rather than small, etc. (Please don't get off on a discussion of taking care of the foundation problems (they're being addressed). Also do not suggest using single panels of onyx for each of the 3 wall ----My wife wants tile --no matter the practical considerations. Any suggestions/discussion would be helpful. Thanks, ---jaes.