How to repair interior doors?

Discussion in 'General Interior Repair Discussion' started by devid diya, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Jun 3, 2012
    devid diya

devid diya New Member

I own a rental house that appears to have interior doors that are covered with dark wood grain vinyl film. It's coming off in places and I'm looking for self adhesive vinyl wide enough to recover the doors. So far all I can find is contact paper that's 18" wide, I need it to be at least 30" wide. Anyone know where I can find it?

http://www.bedbugsremovalguide.com/bed-bug-steamer.html

davison likes this.
  2. Sep 13, 2013
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

If the doors are not raised-panel, you could try a thin luan plywood, glue and nail it to the door, then paint or stain. That will keep the vinyl from further damage and make the door almost like new.

3. Sep 13, 2013
    HayZee518

HayZee518 Member

A vinyl no matter what you call it is still a contact paper. cheap doors are made of a corrugated cardboard core, a 1 1/2 X1 1/2 inch pine frame, glued together at the corners. Where the lock goes it is built up of pine. the finish is a 1/8" luaun plywood skin brad nailed into place. it is so flimsy you can punch your fist through it. You want to repair it??? You have to peel off the luaun and replace it.

4. Sep 13, 2013
    Pushkins

Pushkins New Member

A new luaun door is between $23 and $40 depending on the size.......far cheaper to just replace the door.

5. Sep 16, 2013
    Canesisters

Canesisters Member

Speaking of interior doors...... I've been trying to figure out how to turn one into a 'dutch door'.
    Between my utility room and den is a door. The cat's litter box is in the utility room. Years ago (yes.. it's been years....) I put in a kitty door to keep the dogs from digging for tootsie rolls in the litter box. About a month later I came home to find one of the dogs wearing the kitty door like a baseball cap... I now have a large, jagged hole in the bottom right corner of the door. The cats come and go through the hole just fine - but so do the 2 smaller dogs.. Since I can't cut off access to the utility room entirely - but obviously a hole at dog level is not a good option - I was thinking that if I cut the door in half and carpet the bottom half then I'd have a climber for the cats that would also provide access to their box.
    My doors are exactly what HayZee describes except that the coverings are formed to look like raised pannel. I can cut the door just above the latch - and add a hinge (2 for the top, 2 for the bottom). But I can't figure out HOW to attach the carpet securely so that it won't peel off with 10# of cat hanging from it... Also will need to beef up the frame where I cut it in half ... but not sure how exactly.

6. Sep 16, 2013
    HayZee518

HayZee518 Member

ok, you're gonna have to do some fancy carpentry. to get away from cutting in another passage lockset you could use a gate swing latch. Its one of them things that look like an old door lock with a thumb paddle and a hook.
    Once you cut the door in half remove some of the corrugated filler. measure the thickness between the two luaun veneers and plane down a piece of 2x4 to fit in between and glue it in place. A poly resin glue would be best for this. Use "C" clamps or spring loaded clamps to hold the door together while the glue dries. for the bottom half do the same but fit a sort of shelf on top lined with a carpet. Use velcro hook n flannel to keep the carpet on the shelf. then, when it gets too ragged to use, replace the carpet with some more velcro to hold it on.

7. Sep 29, 2014
    davison

davison New Member

You can also replace with marine plywood and paint it with the same color of the vinyl. But you need to hire a carpenter to do the cutting and installation.

Sumi likes this.
  8. Jun 30, 2020
    hary1971

hary1971 New Member

Time and age cause doors to bind and stick. As your house settles, doors sage in their frames. in addition, repeated painting and dirt create buildup. or a door may have been misaligned from the start. A variety of problems occur with doors. Some ,such as damage to their surfaces, can happen to any type of doors. other problems are unique to the way a door operates. we offer a full range of renovation and remodeling services.

9. Oct 23, 2020
    Tedybor

Tedybor New Member

I understand you very well, I had a table made of the same material, I need to think about what can help you... , I know one thing for sure it's because of the moisture

10. Nov 24, 2020
    Rakson

Rakson New Member

I find replacing such furniture easier and efficient than repairing them. Saves time, and the costs are almost the same.

11. Jan 15, 2021
    DerekClark

DerekClark New Member

Get a professional Handyman to do the job for you.