How to keep the pond from breeding mosquitoes?

Discussion in 'Pools, Ponds, and Fountains' started by MsFixIt, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Mar 13, 2012
    MsFixIt

MsFixIt New Member

I live in New England and up here, the mosquitoes are thick. One of the things recommended to keep the population in your yard down is to not have standing water. How would you keep a pond from becoming a mosquito breeding ground?

2. Mar 13, 2012
    hammers

hammers New Member

I don't think you can really. I mean you can use citronella candles but I don't think they work very well. Standing water or really any water at all attracts mosquitoes and other bugs. We actually took our pond out because of the bugs (and snakes).

3. Mar 16, 2012
    PlushPickens

PlushPickens New Member

Sure, there are ways of preventing mosquitos in a pond. One is adding a fountain. It will unsettle the water, so the female can't lay eggs. Another way is to add mosquito fish that eat mosquitos. They can be aggressive, and if they are, switch to minnows, guppies or goldfish. Adding Bti is a natural bacteria that kill mosquito and fly larvae. It's a chemical that's not harmful to fish, pets, wildlife or humans. Hope that helps!

4. Aug 21, 2013
    Godsgrl

Godsgrl New Member

There are things you can get at Lowes or Wal Mart called mosquito dunks. They are smallish cakes that you just throw in the pond. So many per size of pond. They prevent mosquito larvae from developing to adult mosquitoes, I think. Definitely worth it, and not very expensive either.

5. Aug 21, 2013
    elevan

elevan Member

I've used the mosquito dunks before and they are quite effective. We've also found that having ducks reduces our mosquito problems.

Nifty likes this.
  6. Sep 4, 2013
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

I was just about to ask if adding a few ducks wouldn't help. Great idea! We have a huge mosquito problem here and I'm not keen on adding anything chemical to the water. I prefer more natural ways of dealing with things :)

7. Sep 6, 2013
    Nifty

Nifty Administrator Staff Member

Our local county gives away tens of thousands of free "mosquito fish" to encourage homeowners to help keep mosquito populations down. From what I understand they work fantastically well and IMO, would be less hazardous than chemicals and less messy than ducks.

elevan likes this.
  8. Sep 8, 2013
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

Wow, that's great! No chance of that happening here though LOL I think I'll go with ducks and put up with the mess.

9. Sep 11, 2013
    NwMtGardener

NwMtGardener New Member

Besides ducks, which are a great idea, you could encourage other insect eating birds like swallows and bluebirds and flycatchers. Build some bluebird boxes, give small birds some cover by planting shrubs or just allowing some hedge to grow (dont keep everything neatly mowed). How big is your pond?

10. Sep 11, 2013
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

I haven't build a pond yet, I'm still in the planning stage, but mosquitoes are a concern for me. We really don't need more of them here! And the little pests adore me, of course. We do have an abundance of birds here, I'll look into ways of encouraging them to hang around.