Flooring idea..

Discussion in 'Flooring' started by TMulhern, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Jan 28, 2015
    TMulhern

TMulhern New Member

I am having a 1200 sq ft house. I have wooden flooring. But sick of its maintenance and the shine goes off really quickly.
    Nowadays various natural stones are coming in the market with various unique designs.
    Can anyone give me the exact quotation and the stone which may not need much maintenance.
    Your ideas are appreciated.:)

2. Jan 28, 2015
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

Stone flooring needs a very sturdy underlayment. Any movement of the flooring and the grout will chip and break. It works really well on concrete slab housing.

So much is determined by what you want your final flooring to look like. We recently laid a multicolored slate flooring. Seems to me it will be hard to clean because of its different thicknesses. A natural stone would probably have variations in thickness like the job mentioned.

There are sealed and unsealed clay tiles. I have found many of them to be slippery when wet. There are a fantastic array of ceramic tiles and many different looks to an installed floor. It is just want you like.

I am getting a few more carpets torn out and having pre-finished oak flooring put down. I really like wood flooring and have had no problems with the flooring I now have. What wood is your floor made of? If it is a softer wood, it might show wear faster than a hardwood floor.

Kristi Ambrose likes this.
  3. Jan 29, 2015
    TMulhern

TMulhern New Member

Thanks for your reply @Smart Red. I got your point. I currently have hardwood floor.

4. Jan 29, 2015
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

I'm not sure I had a point. Just a different point of view. I am not against stone or ceramic flooring. We have put it down in several houses.

I plan to put a ceramic floor in the small master bath (now carpeted. Yuck!) and I will have stone installed on the concrete slab in the sun room. I need new flooring in my kitchen and really don't want wood as DH suggested. I can see where there could be a problem with wood upkeep in that busy thoroughfare. I'm not sure if the sub-flooring is sturdy enough for a ceramic or stone product.

Right now, the kitchen is inlayed vinyl. Nothing easier to keep clean than that. Just mop and move on.

5. Aug 8, 2016
    MannyJacson

MannyJacson New Member

Make some carpet by yourself. It's not hard and you can try to find some information on the Internet

6. Aug 27, 2016
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

Getting ceramic down on the floor of the master bath took a huge drop off the honey-do list when Spouse's Alzheimer's progression seemed to speed up. Down and dirty, we tore up the carpeting and put a piece of vinyl down (not even glued) held in place by the base, stool, and vanity until later work can be done to tear out the bath and put in a free access shower. Installation of hand bars and shower seats took precedence.

That's my story, @TMulhern, what did you decide to do with your floors?

7. Oct 11, 2019
    TammyMowry

TammyMowry New Member

Thanks for the information about flooring.

8. Dec 28, 2019
    JoshuaHann

JoshuaHann New Member

Can you have some information regarding carpet and rugs cleaning, if yes then please share your thoughts. Also, i have found
    a website to learn some ways about carpet cleaning. But can't implement it without machine so need some help.