Cracked window

Discussion in 'General Exterior Repair Discussion' started by Fryar, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Mar 15, 2012
    Fryar

Fryar New Member

I'm debating whether or not to try to repair a window on our house or find someone with more experience to come in and do it. I don't even know how it cracked, but the glass is clearly broken. I think it must have happened when we had that small earthquake last year here on the East coast.

2. Mar 15, 2012
    MsFixIt

MsFixIt New Member

If it's an old single pane window, it really isn't difficult to replace it yourself. Just measure the frame and go into the glass place to order a new piece. Clean off the old cracked glass (carefully, of course) and then it's a good idea to scrape off any residual glazing or putty that is left on the frame before you glaze the new glass into place.

3. Apr 10, 2012
    Yoohoo

Yoohoo New Member

I've never replaced a window myself. What do you mean by glazing the glass in place? Is it a special glue and is it better to use than putty or caulk?

4. Sep 12, 2013
    HayZee518

HayZee518 Member

depends on your window. if the window is of wood construction and is a single pane [not a double with a gas in between] replacement is easy and is about a 5 on a scale of 0-10 in difficulty. you need certain tools to accomplish this task. a box of glazer points, a fairly stiff putty knife 1 1/2 wide, a can of DAP glazing compound, linseed oil, a small paint brush. Use gloves and remove as much large pieces of glass from the frame. Use a propane torch to soften existing glazing compound on the frame and don't burn the wood. Use the putty knife to remove the compound. Remove any glazing points from the frame. Remove any compound used for a "bedding" from the frame. Clean the rabbetted portion of the frame down to the wood. "Paint" some linseed oil into the rabbetted frame and let it soak in. Measure the frame minus 1/16" all around and order a piece of glass. Use your compound and put a small "roll" of compound in the frame. this is used to bed the glass. Place your glass pane into the frame and gently press all around. Then use new glazing points and press into the wood at about 8 inch intervals all around. Now make a larger "rope" of compound and press into place in the frame with the putty knife. Go all around the window. Now hold the putty knife at about a 45 degree angle and pull it along the frame and glass to form a bevel all around the glass. butter up the corners so it looks "professional." wait a day and paint the window. Be careful, the compound will be soft.

Canesisters likes this.
  5. Aug 12, 2019
    Kamnera

Kamnera New Member

Oh and hey, I am gonna start keeping a record of my wins and I will update as they come. Its fun to do that, and it ill likely make me ... more than anything else, but its all good in the end.

6. Oct 6, 2020
    johnmcnuks

johnmcnuks New Member

Doing glass repair Brisbane Southside is important to be done properly by good contractors.

7. Nov 24, 2020
    Rakson

Rakson New Member

I would suggest to call an expert in the glass is to be removed from outside. And if the work is to be done from inside, do it yourself is the way to go.