Consider having sub-forum for "sand box" to allow experimenting n/t

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by Lynn Allan, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Sep 11, 2013
    Lynn Allan

Lynn Allan New Member

2. Sep 11, 2013
    Nifty

Nifty Administrator Staff Member

Hey Lynn, that's a great idea! I think most of the sandboxing we'll do here will be relevant discussions, but if there are some things you want to test that aren't relevant and are just for testing, go ahead and stick them in the General Discussion section:
    General Discussion

3. Sep 11, 2013
    Lynn Allan

Lynn Allan New Member

My impression is that remodelforums.com is a real forum, but you are inviting non-remodelers to provide feedback. I don't want to test out stuff, and be a distraction to real forum members.

I'm curious if you are part of XenForo, someone who writes "mods" (like SMF), or a "power user" who is making extensive revisions to customize for the forums you administrate. Or someone with enough expertise with XenForo to be able to provide consultation services.

4. Sep 11, 2013
    Nifty

Great questions!

Yup, RemodelForum is a real forum, but honestly, it was pretty much 100% dead when I took it over a month ago. So, while we do have a tiny bit of activity (almost 100% from people from my 4 other forums testing it out), you don't need to worry about distracting anybody from the main topic of the site. :)

I've been keeping a close eye on various forum software packages for many years. Everything from vBulleting, MyBB, PhpBB, IPB, SMF, and many others. I've been wathcing xF for a few years and finally decided it was time to seriously consider it as a viable next step for the 4 smaller forums I own. The main reason I purchased this site (and also 2 others that are also mostly dead and on xF) was because it was the best way to kick the tires of the software where I had full access to the admin system and the backend files and DB.

So, to answer your question: Nope, I'm not affiliated with xF, nor am I someone who writes mods (though I wish I had that skill-set). Actually that's a reason why I'm looking closely at xF is because it has an amazing codebase and some incredible addons (mods) already developed and many programmers can code additional addons as needed.

I'm an entrepreneur that's been a power user of forums for over 15 years, and I've owned various forums for almost 10 years.

My idea is to convert all my 4 smaller sites from an incredibly hacked up version of FluxBB and move them over to a more stable and scalable platform.

5. Sep 12, 2013
    Lynn Allan

Lynn Allan New Member

Interesting ... thanks for sharing on that.

I also have a series of websites I own/manage, and have been the volunteer webmaster for several non-profits and political campaigns over the years. I consider myself rusty at PHP, and a semi-advanced user of some forums. I don't see myself as a power-user, at least at the level of my perception that you are.

I did have very high hopes that SMF 2.x would be really wonderful and FOSS, but there seems to have been a great deal of dissention within the development team, and progress seemed to stall out. Bummer.

6. Sep 12, 2013
    Lynn Allan

Lynn Allan New Member

I did take a look at the wiki entry for xF, and noted the legal problems with VBulletin. Looks like lots of dissension while attempting to "herd cats". Software developers can be very difficult to manage, as you may know from personal experience ... and that includes the "guy in the mirror" (me).

7. Sep 12, 2013
    Lynn Allan

Lynn Allan New Member

Ok, I got the Alert about "Send Resolution Report" ... see screen shot.

BTW, in the Alert, it would be helpful to have the remark:
    > "Your recent report has been resolved: Post in thread 'Vinyl Plank - Loose Lay Flooring' "
    be a link of that actual post, if possible.

My speculation is that would be something the xF developers would have to change ... but you could submit a feature request, I suppose.

Attached Files:

8. Sep 12, 2013
    Nifty

Lynn, I moved your post about the report here as a test, thanks for that screenshot!

Yup, the legal actions were a big reason a lot of us forum owners were on the fence with xF. Now that it's been a while since the case was dismissed a LOT of forum owners are moving from vBulletin and other platforms over to xF.

9. Aug 13, 2019
    Kamnera

Kamnera New Member

Wow, with only 10 days before the ride, its looking like a small turn out unless a lot of members just arent posting that theyre going.