Combination Heater and AC Unit

Discussion in 'HVAC' started by artapia, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Oct 26, 2006
    artapia

artapia New Member

I was wondering if anyone has experience with one of those rooftop AC and Heater units. They seem like a good deal and the heating unit is outside so there is little noise.
    :confused:

2. Oct 29, 2006
    bra

bra New Member

Hi,
    Im not sure about it. I'm familiar with Central heat and air. Is it like that? Probably not I guess, since it's all in one unit.

But tell me this, why is it on the roof? yikes!

3. Nov 10, 2006
    lyricb

lyricb New Member

Ours isn't on the roof, although I think that sort of thing is common in the California area, isn't it?

4. Nov 15, 2006
    craftsman

craftsman New Member

Heater/AC

I have a heater and refrigerated air unit on top of my house. I love it! No need to get up on the roof every fall and spring to hook up the air conditioner. Everything is set with the thermostat so if I want air conditioning, I have air conditioning, if I want heat, I have heat. I definitely think they are worthwhile.

5. Nov 15, 2006
    mamab

mamab New Member

If you have a flat roof, it would probably be fine. I don't think they're very common on sloped roofs. Just make sure that the roof is structurally sound enough to handle the weight and vibration of the unit. You might even have to build up the area under the unit, if the roof isn't quite sturdy enough. Also, you will have to have a pipe to drain the condensation from the coils off the roof.

6. Nov 23, 2019
    Jared Welch

Jared Welch New Member

We have separate AC and heater attached at the wall with different thermostats.