Carpet Cleaning tips

Discussion in 'Flooring' started by connor, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Oct 7, 2011
    connor

connor New Member

Does anyone have any suggestions to offer regarding getting a cream colored carpet with a few dark stains on it clean?

My girls have let a few dribbles out of their sippy cups and I'd really like to get them to come out when I shampoo my carpets.

I welcome any suggestions, tips, advise or ideas on how to ensure that this carpet will come out clean. And yes we do have a no drinks in the living room policy but I think I will have to be more strict in the future!

2. Mar 18, 2012
    Darla

Darla New Member

I have found that vinegar works wonders on my cream carpets. I just spray the spot with vinegar, let it sit for a minute and the blot up the stain. Sometimes I use a little toothbrush and some baking soda, too. Just make sure you do not spread the stain when you use the toothbrush. I like to work in a circular motion, and then blot up.

3. Mar 18, 2012
    JenP

JenP New Member

Have you tried any floor cleaner? I would go with hot soapy dish water first. I always used Dawn and it seemed to do the trick. If you use vinegar and water, be sure to rinse it well so you get rid of the smell.

4. Mar 19, 2012
    Yoohoo

Yoohoo New Member

You don't need to rinse if you use vinegar and water. The smell naturally dissipates as the carpet dries. I often use vinegar and water myself although it doesn't do the best job for dark stains. I think the baking soda would help with that though.

5. Mar 19, 2012
    Darla

Darla New Member

Yoohoo is right, using vinegar on carpet is not smelly. The smell quickly disappears and you are left with clean carpets. I thought of something else that is suppose to help with stains, club soda. I have not tried this remedy, does anyone know if it works?

6. Mar 20, 2012
    PlushPickens

PlushPickens New Member

We keep a small tub of powered Oxy Clean mixed with water in a spray bottle. We have a dog who leaves spots with dirt and accidents. I was truly amazed at how well it worked. It takes the spot up entirely. We have a light colored carpet too.

7. Apr 19, 2012
    Fryar

Fryar New Member

I had a carpet that was filthy, and we had just decided to replace it at a cost of $1500. On a whim, my wife called a carpet cleaning company. For $75, they cleaned that carpet in an hour, and it looks brand new. I'm thrilled with the savings.