Butcher Block Counters

Discussion in 'Kitchen and Bath' started by Darla, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Mar 18, 2012
    Darla

Darla New Member

I have seen quite a few butcher block type counters and wood counters, that I think I would like to try out in my kitchen. I like the fact that the wood gives the kitchen a nice earthy feel. What are the pros and cons to this type of counter?

2. Mar 18, 2012
    SuzyD

SuzyD New Member

I would like to do something like that myself so would be very interested in hearing the replies to this. I really like the butcher block look and hope we can replace what we have later this summer.

3. Mar 18, 2012
    JenP

JenP New Member

They are very sturdy - that is a pro. I had one in my last house and I loved it. You have to be careful to treat it though and also careful what you are cutting on it. You would not want a bunch of raw meat to sink into the cracks of the wood.

4. Mar 27, 2012
    PlushPickens

PlushPickens New Member

I never liked butcher block before I saw a lady on TV put in her own. It was really nice. I think it was some sort of regular dark, wood planks she found and installed. I have heard the same about maintenance as JenP has stated, but I would put up with the maintenance if it looked that nice.

5. Apr 13, 2012
    Fryar

Fryar New Member

I love the way butcher block counters look, but I would not want them in my kitchen. I'd rather protect the integrity of the countertop. Instead, I have a dedicated freestanding butcher block and stainless steel counters. I know I can get a steel counter clean.

6. Apr 13, 2012
    Yoohoo

Yoohoo New Member

I like the idea of butcher block counters but am wary of the germ issues. Besides, wouldn't knife marks show up on the counter after awhile?

7. Sep 13, 2013
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

If your butcher block is inset, it could be removed and re-sanded when needed. If it the whole counter, sanding is a bit more difficult, but possible. A free-standing butcher block table is a great option as is a sliding cutting board under the countertop. My son recently built a butcher block table for his MIL and she loves it, in part because her father had been a butcher.

A few years back there was a push to eliminate wood cutting boards in favor of plastic that can be sterilized. Then research showed that there is something in wood that naturally kills germs from food while plastic can develop dents and crevasses that hide those germs. I prefer wood.

8. Sep 13, 2013
    HayZee518

HayZee518 Member

I wish you would explain your abbreviations in your postings. What the hell is a MIL?

9. Sep 13, 2013
    Pushkins

Pushkins New Member

The original thread is almost 18 months old but none the less......
    Butcher block counter tops are HIGH maintenance, they are NOT anti microbial like many think, in fact they require constant cleaning and sealing just to maintain a nice appearance.
    A cutting board is a different beast, they can easily be put in a dishwasher where sterilization happens.
    If butcher block tops were so safe the USDA and the FDA wouldn't prohibit their use in butcher shops.

I believe MIL stands for Mother In Law (also known as Outlaws...lol)

10. Feb 13, 2015
    TMulhern

TMulhern New Member

Pros: vast expanse for cutting, beautiful, warm look and feel when new or newly resurfaced
    Cons: maintenance (cleaning, scraping oiling), staining, sanitary issues

11. Feb 13, 2015
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

Because he made the counter-tops himself, my son's wasn't all that expensive. He has the look of seven feet of butcher block counter, covered with layers of spar varnish to protect it. Looks beautiful, but no one cuts anything on it. It's too big to remove and re-sand. All cutting is done on a butcher block side table (he also made) with a removable top or plastic cutting boards.