Building in the basement

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Smart Red, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Dec 19, 2015
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

I wasn't sure where to put this thread. It involves electronics, as we are putting in a home theater. It involves wiring, since the walls we are insulating and drywalling will need electricity. It involves construction of walls, doorways, and cabinets. It even involves plumbing where the bar is to be built and the bathroom is to be installed. Something for everyone!

2. Dec 19, 2015
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

Here is the space for the bar.
    Basement bar.JPG
    We had a bar planned when we built the house 40 years ago, but finally are close to getting 'er done! Water and drainage were set in place way back then. The (black) drain can be seen near the floor while water pipes are nearly behind the old bookcase. Need a catchy name for the bar.

I had always wanted a bathroom in the basement. Even more important now that we aren't running up the stairs as quickly as we once did.
    Basement bathroom.JPG We framed the plumbing for a stool and sink in the 1970's. I think it will be a great addition to the basement space. The old oil tank is now gone and the space where it stood will have a new purpose as well. Another up-date in photos that I should do.

Basement root cellar.JPG With the tank gone, I have access to outside air. We will be turning this space into a root cellar -- something I have long wanted -- for winter storage of garden produce.

Of course, the real impetus for fixing up the basement further is the home theater. We have 22 feet of space under the dining room. With no windows, it should be ideal for the movie experience.
    basement theater.JPG DH and DS have most of the walls framed in and we are waiting for electricity as well as a decision on what AV products we will be getting. I am a total novice in electronics, so DS is doing the research. The outside walls will be insulated, while the inside walls will house the electronics. The inside (block) walls are now framed up and recessed light fixtures are mounted as well. I guess I need to update my photos.

All the junk removed from these areas has been shoved into the gaming part of the basement so I won't show them right now. A lot of the junk has been carried up for the dump, but again these are older photos. We have an area for ping-pong, another larger space for the pool table, and a third section for tables set for cards, checkers, or chess games. That makes up the space under the bedrooms and is already mostly finished and painted. We recently recovered the pool table. A photo of that section -- before the junk -- is from another post. pool table_01.JPG

We will still have plenty of room for storage after shelves and cupboards have been built for this space. basement storage.JPG Having rental properties means always being prepared to repair, re-paint, or re-plumb somewhere or other. The storage is needed so we can find all the tools and equipment we use.

This final space is my dream room! We are planning to turn the area into a growing room equipped with hydroponics and enough lighting to rival the sun. basement growing room.JPG Again, we have water already run to the room. We will need to get drainage, however, for the growing tables. Either a pump to the bathroom above, or PVC run to the bathroom we're building. (As DH once said, "You can do anything with plastic pipe.") This will probably be the last room we tackle in this project.

Got'ta go! DH is on the prowl and dragging me off to b e d.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  3. Dec 24, 2015
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

On hold for the moment. We need a sub-panel put in for the rest of the electrical in the basement. We have an electrician coming Saturday to look at the job. Can't wait!.

Then, after Christmas, we are going shopping for AV equipment for the theater. DS says it will be cheaper then before the holiday. I sure hope.

4. Dec 27, 2015
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

Met with the electrician. He will add 6 circuits -- plenty for what's left to do in the basement -- for $300. I consider that a fair price and if we have the circuits run, he will hook them to the box at no additional charge.

Now we run the wires and wait two weeks for the electrician to return and hook us up.

5. Jan 9, 2020
    Marie Reis

Marie Reis New Member

Thanks for sharing.