Border on paint

Discussion in 'Painting and Interior Design' started by JenP, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Mar 11, 2012
    JenP

JenP New Member

Do you like wallpaper border? I think it really enhances a room when the room is painted. I have border in 3 of my main rooms. The kitchen border is in the middle of the wall. The living room and family room border is on the top of the wall. I like the border in the middle of the wall, I think it separates the wall and draws attention to the border.

2. Mar 12, 2012
    SuzyD

SuzyD New Member

We have used the border in the middle of the wall before and I like it like that too. Sometimes we have painted the bottom half a different color and put wall paper border on the top of that. Makes for an interesting contrast.

3. Mar 14, 2012
    Howdie

Howdie New Member

Wallpaper borders

Wallpaper borders were really the thing going ten or twelve years ago. I'm seeing less and less of them going into new homes. Paint and other finishes are more the trend now. These trends will change, too. I still say to go with what you like. I just want the borders not to peel off around the edges.

4. Mar 14, 2012
    Yoohoo

Yoohoo New Member

It depends on the room. I'm normally not a huge wallpaper fan, but we used a Winnie the Pooh border in the middle of the nursery. The top is painted sky blue and the bottom a light green. It turned out really nice.

5. Mar 14, 2012
    JenP

JenP New Member

I also have a room that has a border and then paint on the bottom and a different wallpaper on the top. It really looks great. I don't think wallpaper border is a thing of the past. I see it in many houses.

6. Mar 14, 2012
    Darla

Darla New Member

I am not fond of wall borders, but sometimes borders can spice up a room. I just think you should not put wall borders in every room. We had an apple wall border in our kitchen, when we moved into our home. it looked very out of place, and I removed it quickly. It was such an eye sore every time you walked into the kitchen!

7. Sep 10, 2013
    so lucky

so lucky New Member

Several years ago when I redid our kitchen, I had to use wallpaper because the home builder put up the original wallpaper on raw drywall. (I have cursed him mentally numerous times) so I found this border that I just LOVED. LOVED. Really LOVED. I bought it and coordinating wallpaper for above and below the chair rail, planning to use the 12" border just above the chair rail.
    Well, when I got it home, my DH just absolutely HATED the border. HATED it. Rarely puts his foot down, but did then, regarding that border. So I have no border up, and the wallpaper is just kind of boring. Been that way for ...oh....12 years or so.

8. Nov 10, 2016
    RalphXhoff

RalphXhoff New Member

Hey...I really love this trend. Borders really add more opulence to the decor especially when we go with light and dark hues of same family. The middle border is simple superb and I have it in my home decor too.

9. Apr 6, 2017
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

I love the look in my son's Vict0rian home, but it seems out of place here in my ranch-style house. Besides, Spouse had the plaster walls sand coated. I'm not sure how a border would work over that texture.

10. Mar 14, 2018
    Daliajoy

Daliajoy New Member

I'm not a fan of wallpaper, depending on the pattern it can look nice sometimes, but somehow I always think of dirt underneath it that can accumulate with time. I preffer a clean paint.