Best wood for building outdoor deck?

Discussion in 'Woodworking and Carpentry' started by Stephanie2377, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Nov 1, 2006
    Stephanie2377

Stephanie2377 New Member

My husband and I want to build an outdoor deck. Currently, there is nothing in our backyard. We don't even have a cement slab to act as a patio!

As we are preparing for this, we are trying to decide which is the best wood to use. Obviously, we want one that will hold up to the elements. We know we will have to treat the wood and such. We'd love a low maintenance wood that will resist rot and decay. Does that even exist?

I'd love your input! Thanks!

2. Nov 2, 2006
    traveller

traveller New Member

I'm based in the UK so I hope that this applies elsewhere. We built decking last summer and found that the timber merchant sold pretreated wood specifically for decking. Once down there is very little maintenence involved.

One point worth noting. Whether because of the treatment or the hardness of the wood, we found it very difficult to work with and hard on tools.

3. Nov 7, 2006
    Stephanie2377

Stephanie2377 New Member

Thanks so much for the input! That is definitely worth noting, especially since we are planning on doing this ourselves. My husband told me that they make a decking "wood" now that is a wood mixture or something like that. I can't remember what it is, but it is really expensive. However, it is definitely low maintenance once the deck is built.

We would like a pressure-treated wood for sure. If we have to stain and seal it ourselves, that is fine. We need affordable, but also want a wood that will last and not rot too quickly.

Does anyone else have some input?

4. Nov 9, 2006
    mamab

mamab New Member

Treated wood is great, for a time. My husband used treated lumber on the handrails for our porch. One of them has completely fallen apart and needs to be replaced. I think you still need to stain or paint so often to keep the elements out.

5. Nov 14, 2006
    OneHandyGal

OneHandyGal New Member

Great question as I'll be building a deck next summer. When we moved into our house the couple here before had built a brand new deck with treated wood. It has lasted almost 20 years, and we've really seen wear and tear the past 2 years. It's starting to become weak in spots, but not many so far. It definately must be stained though, whether you do it before or after.

6. Nov 14, 2006
    handystan

handystan New Member

I agree, treated wood is essential. But if you really want something durable, try the synthetic wood. I is made out of saw dust and resin. It looks pretty good and is as durable as plastic. The only down side is the price. Around 30% more.

7. Nov 16, 2006
    papia

papia New Member

While wood decks are traditional, new materials can make building and maintaining an outdoor living area easier. Do you like red wood decks?

8. Nov 16, 2006
    Stephanie2377

Stephanie2377 New Member

I think red wood decks are lovely! Do you have an idea for an alternative material to build the deck?

We had considered the synthetic wood, but the price was just astronomical!