Bamboo Floors

Discussion in 'Flooring' started by PlushPickens, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Apr 4, 2012
    PlushPickens

PlushPickens New Member

If I go with a bamboo floor, can it be refinished in the future, like a hardwood floor? I'm wondering if it has the same qualities.

2. Apr 4, 2012
    hammers

hammers New Member

I've never heard of a bamboo floor so I can't answer this but I'm curious. I've never even seen anything like a bamboo floor. Anyone have a picture they can post?

3. Apr 5, 2012
    Yoohoo

Yoohoo New Member

Yes, you can refinish a bamboo floor. Sand it down, clean up the dust, and slap on some polyurethane to protect it, just like a regular wooden floor. I found a picture online for you, hammers.

[​IMG]

4. Apr 6, 2012
    SuzyD

SuzyD New Member

I love Bamboo floors and have hear they are very durable and not real expensive. We are going to be remodeling our living room soon and I hope we can put this down for the new floor. Thanks for the picture.

5. Apr 6, 2012
    fixerupper

fixerupper New Member

I actually just saw this at the home improvement store the other day and my interest was peaked. I am glad that I read this because I wondered the same thing. It is good to know that it is no more difficult to keep up than a traditional hardwood floor.

6. May 1, 2012
    TileLindsey

TileLindsey New Member

Bamboo floor looks elegant...yet, I'm not sure if it can really last for quite some time.. I still go for granite tiles instead.

7. Sep 12, 2013
    so lucky

so lucky New Member

What would be the advantages of bamboo over traditional hardwood? (Other than the bamboo being more readily renewable right now) My son made kitchen cabinet doors out of bamboo and they look very nice.

8. Sep 13, 2013
    HayZee518

HayZee518 Member

Now wait a minute! Bamboo, at least the bamboo I've seen naturally comes in round, segmented stalks. How do you make a flat floor from round stems? I can see peeling a veneer from a log and making something flat but bamboo is round and hollow. 'Splain to me this!

9. Sep 13, 2013
    Canesisters

Canesisters Member

10. Sep 13, 2013
    HayZee518

HayZee518 Member

Impressive video. Now this brings to mind questions. Is there anything that attacks the bonding agent used to bond the strips into boards? I've seen plywood panels that use a bonding agent and pressure become delaminated. OSB glues become unglued to form a mush when subjected to moisture. MDF, while harder in manufacture is more resilient to moisture, given time will become unglued. I used MDF to form the base for my formica counter tops.