Antique chairs

Discussion in 'Upholstering and Refinishing' started by Howdie, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Mar 12, 2012
    Howdie

Howdie New Member

I'm scouting around the house for my next project. My wife has some antique chairs that belonged to her grandmother. I know not to try to refinish them, but they must have some new padding and upholstery fabric. Where is the best place to start looking? She wants her home decor to be right. You know how the ladies are.

2. Mar 14, 2012
    Robbie

Robbie New Member

All fabric stores have upholstery fabric. Do you have an upscale fabric store in your area? It might be better shopping in these type stores for a better selection. Also, checking online for unique designs is a thought.

3. Mar 15, 2012
    Yoohoo

Yoohoo New Member

I would look in a fabric store first; it's better to be able to touch and feel the fabric if you can.

Why don't you want to try refinishing the chairs?

4. Mar 15, 2012
    MsFixIt

MsFixIt New Member

Never refinish an antique unless you've had it appraised first. You can often cut the value tremendously by refinishing. If they're not super valuable, then refinish if you choose.

Since they are antiques, I would try to find some vintage fabric rather than buying new yardgoods for the upholstering. You may find some in a thrift store or salvage store but estate sales are the best places I've found to discover vintage fabrics.

5. Mar 16, 2012
    Robbie

Robbie New Member

I was wondering the same thing as YooHoo about refinishing the chairs. I never knew this, so I'm glad you posted. I have already refinished a few antiques, and now I bet I ruined them!