Adding ventilation to the coop

Discussion in 'General Exterior Repair Discussion' started by Smart Red, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Oct 20, 2014
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

I need to add some ventilation to my chicken coop before the cold settles in. I had hoped Son and/or Spouse would finally hear what I've been saying and get it done for me. Nope! I don't think it's going to happen -- unless someone takes pity on me after I start.

I currently have insulation in side walls and ceiling. No wall coverings yet. I want to stick a few styrofoam vents into the overhang. Any suggestions as to what would work for the lower ventilation other than leaving the pop door open?

Then I go for the wall coverings to keep the birds from nibbling away at my Vis-Screen and insulation.

2. Nov 18, 2014
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

I picked up the jig-saw at DS's home this morning so I can cut out the vent openings. Son has almost all the tools at his house now and finding something here is almost impossible. Going to wait for a bit warmer weather before I do. Predictions are for temps back into the 40s by weekend with Sunday at a balmy 48 degrees. . . . and rain.

3. Nov 24, 2014
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

Drats! Warm weather came with rain! Now we have a blizzard outside with predictions for colder temperatures. I didn't get the vents cut. So far the coop hasn't been too bad. I do have a low opening and an open window, but with the addition of a heat lamp last week, I can tell the humidity is building. Keeping the water from freezing means keeping a small heat light on once the temps fall below 20 degrees (F).

4. Nov 25, 2014
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

Removing the waterers from the coop in the evenings will help cut down the humidity in the coop. The chickens will be fine if they have to wait for the morning to have a drink.

5. Nov 25, 2014
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

Never thought of doing that. Still, br-r-r-r. I'm not sure I want to carry 3 gallons of water in and out. Once it really gets cold, I usually switch to a dog food dish and daily refills. I suppose I might try that now.

6. Nov 30, 2014
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

I brought in a dog dish today. It is a heated bowl with a 2 degree heating control. 34 degrees and the element goes on, 36 degrees and the element goes off. That's as good as it's going to get keeping water warm for them and easy access for me. I can still dump it every night if I want to.

Really can feel the build-up of moisture -- and resultant smell. I cleaned the coop today, and added new straw to the nests. I tried using the jigsaw to cut holes for the vents, but this saw has a hair trigger and seems to have had the safety tampered with. There were times when I couldn't get the saw to stop running.

Sigh! I've never been good at working over my head and that's the spot I need to reach. So I have a partial hole in the eave. Maybe, later this week I can pick up a jigsaw of my own -- a lighter one -- and try again.

I did prop open the pop door a bit so there is more ventilation than there was.